Gleneagles Hospital started out as a 45-bed nursing home in 1957. The British Association was the original founder of Glenagles Hospital, during a time where Singapore was slowly gaining independence from the British.
On 16 January 1958, Gleneagles Nursing Home was incorporated as a private company that came to be known as Gleneagles Hospital Limited. The hospital first opened its doors to the public on 8 June 1959. In 1979, it evolved into a 126-bed hospital that provides a wider range of medical services. From 1979 to 1980, the small 45-bed nursing home was slowly expanded into a 126-bed “medical center”.
Parkway Holdings then acquired Glenagles Hospital on May 1987 for S$46 million. Parkway Holdings continued the expansion from 1988 to 1991. Spending S$150 million, Gleneagles Hospital was transformed into a modern hospital. The new additions were a new 10-storey hospital block, 14 operating theaters and 150 consulting suites. Parkway Holdings did not stop at superficial improvements. Gleneagles Hospital also expanded its range of services to include hospital management and consultancy services.
In 1993, Gleneagles transformed into a tertiary care hospital. A year later, Gleneagles Hospital was commissioned with 150 medical specialists. In 1997, the hospital had expanded to a 380-bed institution.
At present, there are more than 160 specialists specializing in more than 30 specialties. It is renowned for attracting many foreigners around the region due to its excellent patient care record.