Prof. Dr. Kannan Devy Gounder
Department: Surgical gastroenterology
Kauvery Hospital, Chennai
Qualification: M.B.B.S., M.S.(General Surgery), M.Ch.(Surgical Gastroentrology), F.R.C.S.(Glasg)
A graduate of the prestigious Madras medical college passed out in 1981 and did M.S(gen.surg)1986 and Mch in surgical Gastroenterology 1995 from the same institute. Conferred with the Honorary FRCS from the Glasgow University in the year 2009. Joined Govt. service in the year 1986 and continues to be a teaching faculty. Author of more than 20 International publications.
Clinical Expertise & Services Offered:
Specialist in major gi surgeries like esophageal cancer, stomach cancer, colorectal cancer, liver tumors, and pancreatic tumors. Most experienced surgeon in the field of heato biliary and pancreatic surgeries with more than 2000 surgeries Most experienced laparoscopic surgical procedures including bariatric surgery, gall stones,lap.fundoplications, and other GI cancer surgeries.
- Delivered the prestigious ‘Prof.S.Vittal oration’ on Surgery for Chronic pancreatitis-Recent concepts at the annual Tamilnadu & Pondicherry chapter ASI 2012 conference at Thanjavur
- Delivered the Prestigious Dr. Mathias oration on “liver Resection in 2015” at the annual Tamilnadu & Pondicherry chapter ASI conference 2015 at Kodaikanal
- Received the best Doctor award for the Year 2015 from the Govt. of Tamilnadu
List of Publications:
Authored a chapter on Basic surgical techniques, GI anastomosis and staplers in GI surgery in the Surgical Gastroenterology textbook edited by Dr.Sanjiv Haribakthi
- Biliary tract tuberculosis an Enigma. Somasekar RDR, Anand Lakshman, Abdul Rehman, Amudha Anblagan, Kannan Devy Gounder.
- Mediastinal pseudocyst mimicking pseudo achalasia. Durairaj Segamalai,John Grifson, Abdul Rehman,Rajendran Vellaisamy,Sumathi Natarajan,Kannan Devy Gounder, Vol.38.1(Jan – March 2017).
- Sigmoid Colon Endometriosis Mimics Acute colonic Obstruction – A Rare entity Rajendran Vellaisamy, Prabhakaran Raju ,Kannan Devy Gounder Volume 38 No. 2 ( April – June, 2017) of Tropical Gastroenterology.
- John Grifson John Rose, PerungoThirumaraichelvan, Durairaj segamalai, Bennet Duraisamy, AmudhanAnbalagan, Prabakaran Raju, Kannan Devy Gounder Anomolous middle hepatic artery in laparoscopic cholecystectomy: wolf in sheep’s clothing. Journal of minimal access surgery accepted on 09.02.2016.
- 5. John Grifson J, Perungo T, Amudhan A, Bennet D, Prabakaran R, Chandramohan S.M, Anand L, Kannan DG Black stomach, Journal of case reports 2016;6(1).44-46.
- 6. John Grifson J, Anand L, Kannan DG, Hepatolithiasis BJS10108 2016.
- Joined the Tamilnadu medical services in the year 1986
- 1986 – 1987 medical officer, Upgrade Primary health center Perambakkam
- 1987 – 1988 Tutor in Surgical gastroenterology madras medical college and govt.general hospital
- 1988 – 1993 tutor in surgical gastroenterology Stanley medical college hospital
- 1993 – 1995 did Mch in Surgical Gastroenterology Madras medical college
- 1995 – 2008 Asst. Professor / Reader Department of surgical gastroenterology Stanley medical college
- 2008 July – 2008 Dec Professor of Surgical gastroenterology Thanjavur Medical college
- 2008 Dec – 2012 Professor of Surgical gastroenterology Kilpauk medical college/Govt. Royapettah hospital
- 2013 till date Professor / Director Institute of Surgical Gastroenterology Madras medical college / Rajiv Gandhi Govt. general hospital
Professional Body Membership:
- International hepato pancreatico biliary association
- Association of Surgeons of India
- Indian Association of Surgical Gastroenterology
- Association of minimal access surgeons of India
- Indian Society of Gastroenterology
- Tamil Nadu chapter of Indian society of gastroenterology
- Association of Endocrine surgeons of India
Languages Known: Tamil, English
- Languages : English, Tamil
- Gender : Male