Dr. Vimal Kumar - Paediatric Haemato-Oncology
Dr. Vimal Kumar
Consultant- Clinical Haemato-Oncology, Paediatric Haemato-Oncology
Dr. Rela Institute & Medical Centre- Chennai
Dr Vimal Kumar underwent his undergraduate training from the prestigious Madras Medical College, Chennai, and postgraduate training from SMS Medical College, Jaipur where he was awarded GOLD MEDAL as the best outgoing student of the year. He underwent fellowship training in Paediatric Haematology/Oncology from Apollo Speciality Hospital, Chennai and further special training in Bone Marrow Transplantation at St. Mary’s Hospital (Imperial College NHS), London, UK under the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, UK.
He has proven competence in management of various blood disorders and cancers in children.
He has been involved in more than 200 allogenic and autologous stem cell transplantation both in India and UK till date.
He has numerous presentations and publications in national and international journals.
He has special interest and is trained in Haploidentical stem cell transplantation in UK.
- More than 9 years of experience in the field of Paediatric Haematology, Oncolofy and Bone Marrow Transplantation.
- Expertise in management of all blood related disorders in children
- Comprehensive care of paediatric cancers including leukaemias and solid tumours with special interest in hepatoblastoma.
- Management of Primary Immune deficiencies in children.
- Allogenic and autologous Bone Marrow Transplantation with special expertise in haploidentical BMT.
- 2010 to 2012 – Assistant Professor, Paediatrics, Saveetha Medical College, Chennai
- 2012 to 2014 – Fellow, Paediatric Haematology and Oncology, Apollo Speciality Hospital, Chennai
- 2014 to 2015 – Junior Consultant, Paediatric Haematology, Oncology & BMT, Global Hospital, Chennai
- 2015 to 2016 – International Clinical Fellow, Paediatric Haematology and BMT, St. Mary’s Hospital, Imperial College Healthcare NHS, London
- 2016 to 2019 – Consultant, Paediatric Haematology and Oncology & BMT, Gleneagles Global Health City, Chennai
Honors & Awards
GOLD MEDAL issued by the India Health Trust for the Best Outgoing Student of the year 2010 in MD Pediatrics
Research & Publication
- ‘Role of adjuvant chemotherapy post liver transplantation in Hepatoblastoma – necessity and feasibility ‘– PHOCON, Bengaluru, December 2018
- Haploidentical BMT with a Post-Infusion of Stem Cells Cyclophosphamide Approach is Feasible and Leads to a High Rate of Donor Engraftment in Haemoglobinopathies Allowing Universal Application of Transplantation’ – British Society of Bone Marrow Transplantation (BSBMT) conference,London, United Kingdom, May 2016
- ‘Multidisciplinary management of Hepatoblastoma with incorporation of Liver Transplantation in children’ – PHOCON, Mumbai, November 2016
- ‘Irinotecan as a maintenance therapy in relapsed Hepatoblastoma ‘-a case report – PHOCON, Mumbai, November 2016.
- Role of Liver Transplantation in Hepatoblastoma – Experience from a Developing Country – St Jude Viva Forum, Singapore 2017
- ‘Sibling cord and bone marrow to cure Thalassaemia major’ – Asia Pacific Bone Marrow Transplant (APBMT) conference, Hyderabad, October 2012
- ‘Syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion complicating umbilical cord stem cell transplantation’– APBMT, Hyderabad, October 2012 8. ‘Use of unrelated peripheral blood stem cells from the Indian donor registry to cure childhood haematological conditions’ – APBMT held in October 2012 at Hyderabad, India
- ‘Infection related mortality during induction therapy of childhood Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia in a tertiary care centre in South India’ – PHOCON, Ludhiana, November 2012
- ‘Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans in an infant – a case report’- PHOCON, Ludhiana, November 2012
- ‘Experience with polyethylene glycol conjugated asparaginase in the treatment of children with newly diagnosed acute lymphoblastic leukemia during induction chemotherapy’- PHOCON, Ludhiana, November 2012
- Participated in a debate – Conservative vs Aggressive management in Chronic ITP – PHOCON, Ludhiana, November 2012
- ‘A treosulphan based reduced toxicity conditioning protocol for thalassaemia major’ – Haematocon 2013, Mumbai
- ‘A Study of the Early Motor Pattern Profile as an early predictor of Cerebral Palsy’ at Growth and Developmental Pediatrics Conference, GDBP NATCON, CMC Ludhiana, 2010
- Chapter on ‘Coagulopathy in Liver Disease’ in the book ‘Pediatric Liver Intensive Care’ authored by Dr Naresh Shanmugam, published by Springer in 2018
- ‘Multidisciplinary management of hepatoblastoma in children: Experience from a developing country’ – Pediatric Blood and Cancer, 2017; 64: e26249
- ‘Extensive nail changes in a toddler with multisystemic Langerhans cell histiocytosis’ – Pediatric Dermatology, 2017;34:732-734
- Primary immune deficiencies and stem cell transplantation Sri Lanka Journal of Child Health, 2017; 46(1): 3-15
- Irinotecan as a maintenance therapy in relapsed Hepatoblastoma- a case report’- Pediatric Hematology Oncology – journal 2 (2017) 63-64
- ‘Autologous Immune Enhancement Therapy in Philadelphia chromosome positive Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia: A Case Report’ – Indian Journal of Hematology and Blood Transfusion 2014 30:202-204 DOI 10.1007/s12288-013-0327-3
- ‘Kaposiform Haemangioendothelioma in a 3 month old infant’ – Indian Journal of Hematology and Blood Transfusion DOI 10.1007/s12288-016-0674-y
- Abstract – ‘Early T-cell Precursor Leukemia: A subtype of very high risk Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia’- Abstract No.42, Indian Journal of Hematology and Blood Transfusion, Volume 29, Number 4, Oct-Dec 2013
- Abstract – ‘A treosulphan based reduced toxicity conditioning protocol for children with Thalassemia Major’- Abstract No.183, Indian Journal of Hematology and Blood Transfusion, Volume 29, Number 4, Oct-Dec 2013
- Abstract – ‘Sibling cord and bone marrow to cure children with Thalassemia Major’- Abstract No.184, Indian Journal of Hematology and Blood Transfusion, Volume 29, Number 4, Oct-Dec 2013
- Abstract – ‘Estimation of Serum Ferritin as a useful marker to predict adverse outcome in Unrelated Cord blood transplantation in children’- Abstract No.185, Indian Journal of Hematology and Blood Transfusion, Volume 29, Number 4, Oct-Dec 2013
- Abstract – ‘Combination chelation therapy for transfusional hemosiderosis in Thalassemia Major’- Abstract No.258 Indian Journal of Hematology and Blood Transfusion, Volume 29, Number 4, Oct-Dec 2013
- Languages : English , Hindi
- Gender : Male