Dr. S. Karunakaran
Director: Spine Surgery
Gleneagles Global Hospital, Chennai.
Qualification: M.B.B.S, M.S, D.N.B
- DNB, 2001, Medical Council of India
- MS, 2000, Sri Ramachandra University, Chennai
- MBBS, 1994, Rajah Muthiah Dental College Hospital, Annamalai University
Dr. S. Karunakaran has an overall experience of 25+ years and is currently working as an Associate Professor of Spine Surgery. She has pioneered in percutaneous endoscopic lumbar discectomy under local anaesthesia for disc prolapse. She is the fiirst in South India to have used INSPACE-interspinous implant for lumbar canal stenosis-Keyhole spine surgery local anaesthesia. She has performed more than 2000+ spine surgeries-scoliosis, cervical spine pathologies, thoracotomies, laparotomy, disc replacement surgeries. She has presented various papers. She is also an esteemed member of Tamil Nadu Orthopedic Association, Association of south Indian states, Association of Spine Surgeons of India, and Asian Academy of Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery.
- Percutaneous endoscopic lumbar discectomy
- Cervical spine pathologies
- Disc replacement surgeries
- Mohandas Weller Gold Medal & Fellowship Award at 10th Anniversary meets of the Indo German Orthopedic Foundation, India. On analysis of single level stabilization in grade 1 and grade 2 spondylolisthesis (SPINE)
- ASSI (Association of spine surgeons of India) Traveling Spine Fellowship2005
- Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Association Traveling Spine Fellowship 2006
- Best Publication in Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Association Journal 2010 -Morphometric evaluation of the Cervical Spine Pedicle in our Population
- Analysis of Lumbar Spine Stabilization and fusion in Grade I & II Listhesis, IGOF Journal Vol.: 1(2002) 97 – 104.
- Tuberculosis of cervicodorsal Spine, IGOF Journal Vol.: 2(2002) 35 – 39.
- Bilateral Cervical Jumped Facets-Operative management by dorsal approach, Journal of Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Association, Vol. 33(2007) 20-28.
- Morphometric study of the Cervical Spine Pedicle in our population- Best Publication 2011 in Journal of Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Association, Vol. 36 (2010)
- Retro pharyngeal approach for Upper Cervical Spine lesions published in Journal of Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Association, Vol.37 (2011)