Dr. Rufus Vasanth Raj - Orthopaedics Arthroscopy & Sports Medicine
Dr. Rufus Vasanth Raj
Senior Consultant –Orthopaedics, Head – Arthroscopy & Sports Medicine
Arthroscopy and Sports Medicine, Orthopaedic Trauma, Orthopaedics
Dr. Rela Institute & Medical Centre – Chennai
Qualification: MBBS, DNB (Ortho), MNAMS, FIJR, FASM (ISAKOS), FHAA (Spain)
Dr. Rufus Vasanth Raj, Senior Consultant & Clinical Lead – Arthroscopy & Sports Medicine at Rela Institute of Orthopaedics and Spine Surgery is a fellowship trained surgeon in Arthroscopy & Sports Medicine. He started his medical carrier from the prestigious Madras Medical College and was further trained in various premier institutions. He completed his arthroscopy fellowship training at an International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery & Orthopedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS) approved center and then further international fellowship training in Spain & Australia. He has a vast experience and expertise in dealing with sports and ligament injuries of all major joints. He is a widely acclaimed expert in the field of arthroscopy where he has carved a name for himself with excellent results in high demand athletes and sports personalities. He is also an expert in cartilage preservation and restoration procedures of the knee, ankle and other joints. He has produced excellent results with orthobiologics & stem cell therapy based injections. He is an active member of International Society for Knowledge for Surgeons on Arthroscopy & Arthroplasty, Indian Orthopedic Association, Indian Arthroscopy Society, Indian Society of Hip & Knee Surgeons, Indian Cartilage Society, AO Trauma India.
At Rela Institute, Dr. Rufus and his team of rehabilitation specialists will provide state of the art care in arthroscopy and related surgeries with emphasis on accelerated recovery and rehabilitation to get patients back to work at the earliest.
- MBBS 2008, Madras Medical College, Chennai
- DNB Ortho 2013, Dr. Rangarajan Memorial Hospital (Sundaram Medical Foundation), Chennai
- Fellowship in Arthroplasty (Joint Replacement) 2016, Ganga Medical Centre And Hospital Pvt. Ltd., Coimbatore
- Fellowship in Arthroscopy and Sports Medicine (ISAKOS) 2017, Ortho One Orthopaedic Speciality Centre, Coimbatore
- Fellowship in Hip Arthroscopy & Arthroplasty 2018, Clinica Mompia General Hospital, Spain
- Observership in Shoulder Arthroscopy & Arthroplasty 2019, St. John of God Subiaco, Perth, Australia
- Advanced Arthroscopy (Key Hole) of Knee & Shoulder
- Hip, Elbow, Wrist, Foot & Ankle arthroscopy
- Sports related injuries (Dislocation, Ligament and Tendon injuries)
- Joint preservation procedures – Mosaicplasty & Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation (ACI)
- Biological joint restoration procedures – Stem cells, Bone Marrow Aspirate Concentrate (BMAC), Autologous Conditioned Serum (ACS) and Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) therapy
- Adult sports injuries and Sports Rehabilitation
- Jan 2014 to June 2015 Orthopedic Senior Registrar in Sundaram Medical Foundation, Chennai
- July 2015 to July 2016 MGR University Arthroplasty (Joint Replacement) Fellow in Ganga Medical Centre & Pvt Ltd, Coimbatore
- August 2016 to August 2017 ISAKOS recognised Arthroscopy & Sports Medicine Fellow at Ortho One Specialty Centre, Coimbatore
- September 2017 to December 2017 Orthopedic Consultant in B.M Orthopedic Hospital, Chennai
- December 2017 to Feb 2018 International Hip Fellow in Clinical Mompia Hospital, Spain
- March 2018 to September 2018 Consultant Arthroscopy, Trauma & Sports Medicine in Parvathy Hospital, Chennai
- March 2019 International Shoulder Observer in St. John of God Subiaco, Perth, Australia
Honors & Awards
- Accredited National Arthroscopy faculty for State and Indian Orthopedic Conferences
- One of the few Hip Arthroscopy specialists available in India
- Sports & Sports related injury management specialist
Research & Publication
- Valgus Intertrochanteric Osteotomy for femur neck pseudarthrosis: a simple solution to a complex problem that has stood the test of time. International Orthopedics 2019 June 14,
- A Load-sharing nail – cage construct may improve outcome after induced membrane technique for segmental tibial defects. Injury 2019 Nov 22,
- Talk on ‘Massive Rotator Cuff Tears-Two in One Technique’ – Ortho One Shoulder Master Class with Dr. Peter Campbell on 7th April 2017, Coimbatore
- Talk on Knee Portals & Diagnostic knee Arthroscopy with Anatomy. Taught the delegates about knee scopy and ACL reconstruction on cadaver. MS Ramiah Basic Knee Cadaver Course with Dr. IPS Oberoi, 8th & 9th December 2018, Bangalore.
- Talk on PLC & PCL injuries. Taught the delegates about complex knee arthroscopy procedures on cadaver. Sri Ramachandra Medical College Complex Knee Cadaver Course, 27th Jan 2019.
- Talk on All Inside Arthroscopic ACL Reconstruction – 52nd Annual Conference of Tamil Nadu Orthopedic Association, 8th to 10th Feb 2019.
- Faculty – Chairperson for AC joint injury session in 18th Annual conference of Indian Arthroscopy Society, 27th to 28th September 2019.
Paper Presentations in Zonal conference
- “Proximal Femoral Nail Antirotation (PFN-A) in stable & unstable Interochanteric fractures:Prospective study of 85 patients” for Prof M.Natarajan medal Trauma, at TNOACON Hotel Park Plaza, 13th to 15th February 2015, Salem.
- “Intra-articular fluid temperature changes with RF ablation in arthroscopic surgeries of the knee” for prize paper presentation at 4th Congress of Indian Cartilage Society (ICS) – Hotel Radisson Blue, 17th & 18th November 2017, Coimbatore.
- “Posteromedial Fragment – The Key Fragment In Complex Tibial Plateau Fractures” at TNOACON-2012, Christian Medical College, 9th to 11th February 2012, Vellore.
- “Restoration and Maintenance Of Volar Tilt In Distal Radius Fractures Using Volar LCP” at OASISCON- 2012, 24th to 26th August 2012, Bengaluru.
- “Piriformis Syndrome – A Rare Cause Of Sciatica” at IOACON-2012, 13th to 15th December 2012, Chennai.
- “Analysis Of Proximal Humerus Fractures Using PHILOS” at TNOACON, Thanjavur Medical College, 8th to 10th February 2013, Thanjavur.
Poster Presentations in Zonal conference
- “Lisfranc Injuries – Uncommon & Uniquely Challenging” at TNOACON, Christian Medical College, 9th to 11th February 2012, Vellore.
- “An Interesting Case Of Cerebral Palsy” at POSICON, 10th to 13th January 2014, Chennai
Presentation in City meetings
- Best paper Award for “Primary Reconstruction Of Traumatic Humeral Bone Loss” at Government Stanley Medical College by Madras Orthopaedic Society (MOS) Meet, 2nd February 2012, Chennai.
- Best paper Award for “Standing Tall – A Case Of Cerebral Palsy” at Sri Ramachandra Medical College by Madras Orthopaedic Society (MOS) Meet, 6th September 2012, Chennai.
- “Periprosthetic Fractures – Versatility Is the Need Of The Hour” at Bone and Joint Hospital by Madras Orthopaedic Society (MOS), 3rd November 2011, Chennai.
- Submitted a dissertation titled “Analysis Of Proximal Humerus Fractures Treated By Open Reduction Internal Fixation With Proximal Humerus Internal Locking System (PHILOS) Plate” a prospective study accepted by National Board of Examinations, New Delhi as Thesis Project, November 2013.
- Submitted to Journal of Techniques & Shoulder Surgery – “Modified Arthroscopic Margin Convergence for Massive Rotator Cuff Tears with Suture Anchors – Two in One Technique”
- Correlation between Posterior Tibial Slope and Post-operative Knee Flexion in Posterior Stabilised Total Knee Arthroplasty: CT Based Prospective Study.
- Relationship between Tibial and Femoral component rotation with Functional outcome in Posterior Stabilised Total Knee Arthroplasty – CT Based Prospective Study.
- Total Knee Arthroplasty Complicated by Mycobacterium Tuberculosis: Three Interesting Cases.
- Articular cartilage damage following Radio Frequency Chondroplasty -Histological Evaluation.
- Intra-Articular Fluid Temperature Changes with & without Radiofrequency Ablation in Arthroscopic Surgeries of Knee.
- Patellar Chondroplasty – ‘Gutter Technique’ of Microdrilling to overcome practical difficulties.
- Languages : English , Hindi, Tamil
- Gender : Male
- Orthopaedic Surgery