Dr. Krishna Subramony Iyer
Pediatric Cardiac Surgery/ Cardio Thoracic Vascular Surgery
Fortis Escorts Heart Institute & Research Centre,New Delhi
M.B.B.S. All India Institute of Medical Sciences New Delhi, 1978
M.S. (Gen. Surgery ) All India Institute of Medical Sciences , 1981
M.Ch. (CTVS) All India Institute of Medical Sciences , 1984
Fellowship( Neonatal cardiac surgery) Royal Children’s Hospital, Melbourne ,1989.
Medical Breakthrough/ Interesting Case Studies
First in India to successfully perform the Double Switch Operation in 1993 First in India to perform successful rapid Two Stage Arterial Switch operation in 1992 First in India to successfully repair Pentalogy of Cantrell in an infant in single stage.
- Surgical treatment of all forms of congenital heart disease in newborns to adults, simple or complex. Expertise in surgery for complex transpositions, late presenting CHD, pulmonary hypertension and complex neonatal surgery.
- Started the first dedicated pediatric cardiac program in Northern India at FEHI in 1995
- Completed 10,000 surgeries for congenital heart disease at FEHI since 1995.
- Career experience of over 13,000 surgeries for congenital heart disease.
- Performed the first successful rapid two stage arterial switch operation (1991) and the first successful double switch operation (1993) in the country.
- First to generate internationally comparable outcomes in neonatal and infant cardiac surgery and surgery for complex congenital heart disease.
- Have helped set up many pediatric cardiac programs within the country and in other countries like Bangladesh, Indonesia, Malaysia and Nepal.
- Recognized internationally for creating a model for delivery of high class pediatric care in an environment of limited resources.
- Fellow and Life member of the Indian Association of Cardiovascular Thoracic Surgeons
- Founder member of Paediatric Cardiac Society of India
- Vice President of Paediatric Cardiac Society of India (2003-2005)
- President of Paediatric Cardiac Society of India (2005-2007)
- Founder President, Asia Pacific Paediatric Cardiac Society (2005-2006)
- Permanent Member, Steering Committee for World Congress of Paediatric Cardiology & Cardiac Surgery (2009 onwards)
- Council member, Asian Society of Cardiovascular & Thoracic Surgery
- Governing Council member of the World Society of Congenital Heart Surgery.
- International member, American Association of Thoracic Surgery.
- Editor-in-Chief, Indian Journal of Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgery
- Member, Editorial Board Annals of Paediatric Cardiology
- Member, Speciality Board of National Board of Examinations capture
- Editor in Chief, Indian Journal of Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgery
- Member, Editorial Board Annals of Pediatric Cardiology
- Member, Editorial Board Pediatric Cardiology
- Organizing Secretary of Combined Meeting of Indian Association of Thoracic Cardiovascular Surgeons and Asian Society of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeons held in New Delhi 26th Feb 1st Mar, 2010
- Council member Asian Society of Cardio Vascular and Thoracic Surgery
- Governing Council member of World Society of Pediatric & Congenital Heart Surgery
- Invited International member of the American Association of Thoracic Surgeons
Awards & Distinctions
- Secured National Merit Scholarship for the year 1971 – 1972 for meritorious performance in the Indian School Certificate examination.
- Awarded Ganpatrao Chittre Scholarship for securing second rank in the Inter-Science examination of the Bombay University in April, 1972.
- Awarded Institute Gold Medal for Best Graduate of the year at the MBBS examination in Dec.1977.
- Secured following awards in All India Institute of Medical Sciences between 1973 and 1977 : – Institute Merit Awards for securing highest grades in the following subjects: * Anatomy * Physiology * Biochemistry * Forensic Medicine*General Surgery* Obstetrics & Gynaecology- Sardari Lal Kalra Gold Medal for proficiency in Microbiology in May 1976.- Institute Merit Scholarship.- Sorel Catherine Frieman Prize for proficiency in Pediatrics in Dec.1977.
- Pfizer Postgraduate Medical award, Gold Medal and Scroll of Honour in 1979.
- Hira Lal Gold Medal for being the best postgraduate in General Surgery in Dec.1981.
- Selected on merit amongst worldwide applicants to attend a workshop on ‘Basic aspects of Cardiac Surgery’ organized by the International School of Medical Sciences, Ettore Majorana, in Erice, Italy in March,1983.
- Recommended for honours at the M.Ch. examination in Cardiothoracic & Vascular Surgery held in Dec. 1984.
- Awarded the Doppler award for best paper at the Sixth International Symposium on Echocardiography in Cardiac Surgery, held in Washington D.C. in Nov.1994.
- Awarded a Citation and Certificate of Appreciation for distinguished service and outstanding contribution to EHIRC Dr A.P.J.Abdul Kalam, Honorable President of India on December 13th, 2002, New Delhi, INDIA.
- Awarded and delivered the Dr. Armida Fernandez oration on 14th August 2005 at Mumbai
- Awarded the Distinguished Service Award for outstanding contribution in the field of Clinical & Preventive Cardiology in the world by World Congress on Clinical & Preventive Cardiology (WCCPC 2006) in September 22nd 24th, 2006, Mount Abu, Rajasthan, INDIA .
- Awarded Certificate of Appreciation for the selfless services rendered by the Delhi Pradesh Congress Committee at Rajiv Bhavan, on December 9th 2006, New Delhi, INDIA.
- Awarded Certificate of Appreciation for the significant contribution at The 16th Asian Pacific Congress of Cardiology in December 13-16, 2007, Taipei, TAIWAN.
- Awarded the Paul Harris Fellow in appreciation of tangible and significant assistance given for the furtherance of better understanding and friendly relations among peoples of the world by The Rotary Foundation of Rotary International on 23rd Feb 2008, New Delhi (INDIA).
- Awarded Dynamic Indian of the Millenium award by the KG Foundation, Coimbatore, Tamilnadu in August,2009
- Awarded and delivered Sadasivan Oration at the Annual Conference of the Association of Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgeons of India held in Kolkata in Feb, 2011
- Delivered the Closing Plenary oration at the 6th World Congress of Pediatric Cardiology & Cardiac Surgery in Capetown,2013
- Awarded and delivered Dr. Nitu Mandke Memorial Oration in Mumbai on 10 Feb 2018
- BMJ India recongnised Dr K S Iyer in Excellence in South Asian Healthcare.
- Gender : Male