Dr. Gaurav Kumar
Paediatric Cardiac Surgery
Fortis Escorts Heart Institute & Research Centre, Okhla Road, New Delhi
MBBS – Armed Forces Medical College Pune
MS Gen Surgery – Armed Forces Medical College Pune
DNB CTVS – National Board of Examinations
Fellowship Paediatric Cardiac Surgery, Mater Childrens Hospital, Brisbane Australia
Dr. Gaurav Kumar has spent a large part of his professional career treating congenital heart disease and contributing to the progress of congenital heart surgery in India. In a career of over 20 years he has performed over 5000 open heart surgeries in newborn, babies and grown ups with congenital heart defects. He specializes in treatment of complex congenital heart disease and has performed operations in babies like arterial switch operation, double switch operation, total anomalous pulmonary venous connection, arch repair, ASD VSD repair, tetralogy of Fallotrepair, truncus arteriosus repair, Rastelli operation and Cone repair and cardiac transplant.
Dr Gaurav Kumar is a graduate from Armed Forces Medical College and served a distinguished career in the Indian Army. He graduated with multiple medals in his graduation, Pune University silver medal during his post graduation in general surgery and CS Sadasivam national gold medal in Cardiac surgery. He established the pediatric cardiac surgery centres at Armed Forces Medical College, Pune and Army Hospital Research and Referral in New Delhi. For his outstanding contribution to development of paediatric Cardiac Surgery in Indian Armed Forces he was awarded the Vishisht Seva Medal by the President of India. He was one of the key members in developing the cardiac transplant programmed at the Army Hospital Research and Referral, New Delhi.
He has more than 30 national and international publication in reputed journal as is devoted to research for furtherance of pediatric cardiac surgery In the country.
He has trained many surgeons in cardiac surgery and is Professor of Cardiothoracic Surgery. His present interests include complex congenital cardiac surgery, philanthropy, developing cardiac surgery in developing countries and improvement in training young surgeons in pediatric cardiac surgery.
Complex congenital heart disease, cardiac transplantation in children, ECMO ( extracorporeal membrane oxygenation) as bridge to transplantation, ventricular assists devices in children
- Developed the pediatric cardiac surgical programme as Faculty at military Hospital Cardiothoracic Centre, Pune
- Established dedicated pediatric cardiac surgical programme with comparable outcomes at Army Hospital Research and Referral, New Delhi
- Key member of the team for development of Cardiac transplant programme in Armed Forces Trained cardiac surgeons and intensivists for pediatric cardiac care of neonates and infants
- Long experience as Cardiothoracic and General surgeon during war and peace in Indian Army.
- Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon, Armed Forces Medical College and Military Hospital
- Cardiothoracic Centre Pune
- Assistant Professor Cardiothoracic Surgery: Armed Forces MedicalCollege Consultant
- Consultant Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgeon, Armed Forces Medical College and Military Hospital Cardiothoracic Centre Pune
- Professor of Cardiothoracic Surgery Army Hospital Research and Referral New Delhi
- Associate Professor Cardiothoracic Surgery: Armed Forces Medical College and Army Hospital Research and Referral New Delhi
- Director Pediatric Cardiac Surgical Programme, Army Hospital Research and Referral New Delhi
Life Member Indian Associations of Surgeons
Life Member Indian Association of Cardiothoracic Surgeons
Member World Society of Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery
Life Member Pediatric Cardiac Society of India
Founder member and Secretary of Society of Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgeons (India)
Over 50 publications and papers presented at various national and international conferences. Medical Breakthrough/Innovation to use and report new drug(Ivabradine) in post congenital cardiac surgery Junctional Ectopic Tachycardia in infants and children.
Publications and Talks
- Mid term results of pulmonary leaflet augmentation in Tetralogy of Fallot : Gaurav Kumar, Nelson Alphonso, Tom Karl. Indian Association of Cardiothoracic Surgeons Conference 2013 Feb Mumbai
- Aortic valve repair in children: Gaurav Kumar, Nelson Alphonso. Indian Association of Cardiothoracic Surgeons Conference 2013 Feb Mumbai.
- Pulmonary valve repair; Techniques and results : Nelson Alphonso, Gaurav Kumar, KV Ramakrishnan. ANZSCTS Darwin, Australia 2013
- Institutional experience of Tetralogy of Fallot repair. Amit Pushkarna, Gaurav Kumar, V Ravishakar, Ramesh Kaushik, GS Nagi. Presented at Indian Association of Cardiothoracic Surgeons Conference 2014 Trivandrum
- Re-coarctation of aorta with infective endocarditis of aortic valve: Extra anatomic bypass and aortic valve replacement. Paul Varghese, Gaurav Kumar, Ranjit Pawar, A Garg. Presented at Indian Association of Cardiothoracic Surgeons Conference 2015 Hyderabad
- Institutional experience of aortic and arch surgeries and their perfusion strategies. G Bhag, A Garg, Gaurav Kumar, R Kaushik. Presented at Indian Association of Cardiothoracic Surgeons Conference 2015 Hyderabad
- Use of intravenous sildenafil in post operative management of onstructed TAPVC. G Bhag, Gaurav Kumar, Vipul Sharma. Presented at Indian Association of Cardiothoracic Surgeons Conference 2015 Hyderabad
- On table extubation in pediatric patients followitn cardiac surgery: Our experience. Amit Pushkarna, Gaurav Kumar, Vipul Sharma, Saajan Joshi.Presented at Indian Association of Cardiothoracic Surgeons Conference 2015 Hyderabad
- Management of deep sternal wound infection with vacuum assisted closure device: Our experience 2012-2014. Paul Varghese, Ajoy Menon, Gaurav Kumar, A Garg. Presented at Indian Association of Cardiothoracic Surgeons Conference 2015 Hyderabad
- Management of tricuspid valve endocarditis with unusually large septal leaflet vegetation causing destruction of tricuspid valve: Paul Varghese, V Ravishankar, Gaurav Kumar, R Pawar. Presented at Indian Association of Cardiothoracic Surgeons Conference 2015 Hyderabad
- On-table extubation after pediatric cardiac surgery: Analysis of 250 cases with institutional protocol. Gaurav Kumar, Vipul K Sharma, Saajan Joshi, Vivek Kumar, Nikhil Tiwari7th Emirates Cardiac Society Congress and 5th Scientific Meeting of the World Society for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery. Oct 27-30,2016 Abu Dhabi.
- On table extubation facilitates management of post-operative pulmonary arterial hypertension. Gaurav Kumar, Vipul K Sharma, Saajan Joshi, Vivek Kumar, Nikhil Tiwari. 5 th World Congress of Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery, Barcelona, Spain July 2017
- A rare case report of Cayler Cardiofacial Syndrome. Vivek Kumar, Gaurav Kumar, Saajan Joshi, Nikhil Tiwari. 18th Annual Conference of PCSI 2017 Oct Mumbai
- Right ventricular outflow reconstruction: A review of techniques. Gaurav Kumar, Nikhil Tiwari, Vipul Sharma, Vivek Kumar. 18th Annual Conference of PSCI, Mumbai 27-29 Dec 2017.
- Ivabradine: A potential last resort for refractory post congenital heart surgery junctional ectopic tachycardia. V Kumar, G Kumar, N Tiwari, V K Sharma, S Joshi, R Ramamurthy. 6th Scientific meeting of World Society of Pediatric and congenital Heart Surgery, Orlando, Florida, USA 22-25 Jul 2018.
- Post operative residual defects: when to intervene. (Invited lecture)19th Annual Conference of PCSI, Ahmadabad Oct 2018
- Reconstruction in the RVOT: Sung Surgical technique. Invited lecture: 2nd meeting of SPCHS, Jaipur
- Delayed presentation of Transposition of great arteries. (Invited lecture).Indian Association of Cardiothoracic Surgeons Conference 2019 Chennai.
- Arterial switch operation for the regressed left ventricle. (Invited lecture)20th Annual Conference of PCSI, Raipur, Atal Nagar Oct 2019
- Awarded the National Talent Search Examination national scholarship – 1987
- Awarded the Gold Medal in ENT and Ophthalmology in Pune University
- Awarded first place in Maharashtra for strategic surgical quiz 1999
- Awarded Bronze medal in National Surgical Quiz 2000
- Awarded Silver Medal in MS Gen Surgery Pune University
- Awarded CS Sadasivam Gold medal in Cardiothoracic Surgery in DNB CTVS
- Awarded Gen Officer in Chief Commendation in 1994, 2004 and 2005 for outstanding surgical expertise and performance in war and peace
- Awarded Vishisht Seva Medal (VSM) by the President of India for outstanding contribution and development in Pediatric Cardiac Surgery for the babies and children of the soldiers of Indian Army
- Languages : English , Hindi
- Gender : Male