Dr. Ashok Seth
Cardiology – Interventional
ChairmanOkhla Road, New Delhi
Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (M.B.B.S.),
J N Medical College, Aligarh Muslim University, India, 1978.
Doctorate of Science (D.Sc) Honoris Causa, Banaras Hindu University, India, 1998
Doctor of Science (D.Sc) Honoris Causa, Amity University, Noida (U.P.), India, 2012.
Doctorate of Science (D.Sc) Honoris Causa, Tirthankar Mahavir University, Moradabad, India, 2012.
Doctor of Letters (D.Litt.) Honoris Causa, Jamia Millia Islamia University, New Delhi, India, 2012.
Dr Ashok Seth is presently the Chairman of Fortis Escorts Heart Institute and the Chairman of Cardiology Council, Fortis Group of Hospitals. Dr Seth has led the field of Interventional Cardiology for last 30-years and has contributed extensively to the development, scientific progress and education in Interventional Cardiology in India and across the world.
Over the past 30-years he has pioneered numerous angioplasty techniques for India and Asia Pacific region like Directional Atherectomy, Angioscopy, Stents, Thrombectomy devices & Drug Eluting Stents, use of Impella heart support device failing heart, Bioabsorbable Stents and Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI). He has put India on the world map of Interventional Cardiology and for his expertise and professional leadership, he is recognized and respected and awarded across the world.
Dr Seth has been awarded by the National Honour of Padma Shri in 2003 and Padma Bhushan in 2015 and ‘B.C.Roy National Award’ for the most ‘Eminent Medical Person’ of the country by the President of India in 2017. He has also been awarded the National Honour of Republic of Spain “Cross of Officer Insignia Order of Isabella the Catholic” conferred on National Day of Spain in 2010. He has been honoured by the prestigious ‘Outstanding Life Time Achievement in Interventional Cardiology’ Award by Chien Foundation Singapore in 2017. He has also been honoured by the ‘Current Luminary Award and Master of Interventional Academy of America’ at The Complex Cardiovascular Catheter Therapeutics (C3) meeting in USA, the ‘Golden Pioneer of Interventional Cardiology’ by the Asian Intervention Cardiovascular Therapeutics Society and prestigious Award of Master Interventionalist of SCAI (MSCAI) & ‘Mason Sones Award’ by Society of Cardiac Angiography & Interventions (USA) in addition to numerous other Life Time Achievement and other Awards.
Dr Seth has been honoured by Doctorate of Science / D.Litt. from six prestigious national universities – BHU, AMU, JamiaMilliaIslamia, Amity,TeerthankarMahavir University and Shiv Nadar University. He has been conferred ‘Adjunct Professorship of Cardiology’ of J N Medical College, Aligarh Muslim University and of National Board of Examinations.
He is the President of the Asian Pacific Society of Interventional Cardiology (APSIC). Dr Seth is the Past President of Cardiological Society of India and the Past Vice President of Asia Pacific Society of Cardiology. He is the Founder Advisory Board Member of several prestigious interventional scientific bodies namely Asia Pacific Society of Interventional Cardiology, SAARC Cardiac Society, Interventional Cardiology Foundation of India, Heart Valve Foundation of India, Indian Foundation of Advanced Cardiovascular Interventions, AICT-AsiaPCR and has been on the Board of Society of Cardiac Angiography and Intervention (USA). He is the Director of the Largest Course in Interventional Cardiology in Asia ‘INDIA LIVE’, Advanced Valve & Structural Therapies ‘INDIA VALVES’, ‘CHIP-CTO India’, ‘AICT-AsiaPCR’ and ‘Imaging & Physiology Council of India’. He is also Associate Director of TCT Scientific Sessions (USA) and Program Committee Member of EuroPCR.
Dr Seth has been invited to lecture at more than 500 national & international meetings and to do Live Demonstration of complex angioplasty techniques at more than 150 national & international meetings around the world and regularly transmitted complex techniques from INDIA to prestigious meetings in USA, Europe and Asia Pacific Region including to the prestigious TCT (USA), PCR (Paris), SingLive (Singapore) and Asia Pacific TCT (Seoul, Korea).
Dr. Seth is on the Editorial Board of all the major scientific journals of Interventional Cardiology (Catheterization and Cardiovascular Intervention (CCI), EuroIntervention, Indian Heart Journal, Cardiology Today’s Intervention etc.).
Dr. Seth has more than 350-publications to his credit in peer reviewed Indian and International medical journals and has chapters in 30-books on Cardiology and has been the Editor of three books in Cardiology.
He is an acclaimed teacher and has trained more than 500-cardiologists of India and abroad in advanced techniques of angioplasty.
Honorary Professor of Cardiology
- Gandhi Medical College, Bhopal (2000 onwards).
- Medical College, Raipur (2001 onwards)
- Medical College, Bilaspur (2001 onwards)
- Padmashree Dr. D Y Patil University (2008 onwards)
- Bangladesh Medical College, Dhaka, Bangladesh, (1998 onwards)
- Honourary National Professor
- Annual Course on Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, Association of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeons of India, (1996 onwards) “Dudley” Visiting Professor University of Birmingham, Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham, U.K (1995)
- Performed one of the highest numbers of angiographies and angioplasties in the world and features in the ‘LIMCA’ Book of Records.
- Been a part of the core team instrumental in creating the Escorts Heart Institute, New Delhi from its first day when he became the Head of Invasive and Interventional Cardiology on his return from England on 3rd October 1988. He was one of the key pillars to make it into one of the most famous landmark institutes in the World. He left the Escorts Heart Institute in Dec’04 to create a new standard in cardiac care in Max Heart & Vascular Institute.
- Dr. Seth has the unique honour of been invited to demonstrate and teach complex angioplasty techniques via the satellite transmission from New Delhi to the ‘Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics in 2003 & 2007’ Meeting in Washington DC (USA) and to EuroPCR in Paris in 2006 (from Bangkok) & in 2003 (from Chennai), which are the most important and biggest meetings of Interventional Cardiologists across the World. This is a unique prestige and privilege for India. He has also done live transmissions of complex angioplasty techniques from India to international meetings in Singapore, Malaysia, Paris, China, Australia, Korea, Sri Lanka etc.
- Dr. Seth has been highly acclaimed internationally for academics and research. He is the Associate Editor of the International Journal of Cardiology Member and is on the editorial boards of the Journal American College of Cardiology; Cardiovascular Interventions, Catheterization and Cardiovascular Intervention; and Euro Intervention. These are the most important Interventional Cardiology journals in the World and are an unprecedented honour for an Indian.
- Dr. Seth has had the unique distinction to be elected on the Board of Governors of Society of Cardiac Angiographies and Intervention (USA) the official professional and regulatory body of interventional cardiologists in USA which has a global influence. This is a first for any cardiologist from Asia.
- He has been invited to be a member of expert committee of “Society of Cardiovascular Angiography & Interventions (USA)” for its international position statement on “Percutaneous Coronary Interventions Without On-Site Surgical Backup” and is a co-author of the ‘Guidelines’ which have been supported by 15 Interventional Cardiology Societies across the World.
- Dr. Seth is a Member of the Expert Committee of the Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation, Directorate General of Health Services, and is responsible for examining issues relating to regulatory requirements for exercising control over medical devices (from October 2009 onwards).
- Dr. Seth is one of the youngest person to be honoured Doctorate of Science (D.Sc.) honouris Causa by Banaras Hindu University in 1998.
- He also was one of the youngest overseas doctors to be awarded with the Fellowship of all the three Royal Colleges of London, Edinburgh & Ireland in year 1995.
- Dr. Seth has trained more than 350 cardiologists from India and abroad for applying advanced techniques of angioplasty. The governments of Malaysia, Bangladesh, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia and organisations such as WHO, SAARC, Cardiac Society, has sponsored doctors from their country to be trained under Dr. Seth.
- Dr. Seth is the Organizer / Course Director of the following international meetings
- INDIA LIVE
- Complex Live Demo Course
- SCAI Adult Interventional Fellows Course
- Asia BRS Summit
- TCT Scientific Sessions (Washington)
- Asian Interventional Cardiovascular Therapeutics (AICT)
- Languages : English , Hindi
- Gender : Male